Enrollment Guidelines for 2017-18 Academic Year
Re-Enrollment Process (Current Students)
All references to dates are defined to mean the CLOSE OF BUSINESS on the date indicated.
- The re-enrollment process is conducted for the existing student body for the forthcoming year, beginning on January 19th and ending on January 29th of the same year.
- In each successive school year, students who were enrolled in the school the previous year will keep their seats in the school until they graduate, provided they submit a Re-Enrollment Form by the specified date. If applicable, siblings who reside with a currently enrolled CCSA student may also be enrolled at this time. If there are seats available, siblings will receive preference in the enrollment process.
- Students who do not submit a Re-Enrollment form by the deadline (January 27) must re-apply during the "open" enrollment period. All aforementioned applicant rules will then be enforced.
Open Enrollment Process (New Students)
- The "open" enrollment period is available from Monday, February 1 through Tuesday, February 28.
- If, on February 29, there are sufficient seats for all applicants to attend, the applicants will be automatically enrolled and registered to attend CCSA for the following academic year.
- If there are more eligible applicants than available seats in a particular grade, the school will conduct a manual lottery for that grade to determine who will be entitled to register.
- All applications received after the "open" enrollment period will be accepted on a "first-come, first-serve" basis, after the waiting list, generated by the lottery, has been exhausted.
Lottery General Rules (if needed)
- Manual lottery refers to the selection of applicant names by a random method such as the blind drawing of individual names from a container in sequence until all names in the container have been exhausted. The lottery will be open to all and will not rely on computers.
- Only one (1) lottery shall be conducted by the school to include all grades in which the number of applicants exceeds the number of expected seats available.
- Only completed applications received by the "open" enrollment deadline, Tuesday, February 28, 2017 are eligible to participate in the lottery.
- If the number of Applicants is less than the number of seats anticipated to be available, no public lottery shall be conducted for that grade. Should a seat become available, the next student in line according to the results of the lottery shall be offered admission.
- All applicants offered a seat shall be required to affirmatively respond to an offer for acceptance within seven (7) calendar days. Those not responding (excluding declined offers) will be placed on the waiting list.
- All applications received after the "open" enrollment period will be accepted on a "first-come, first-serve" basis, after the waiting list has been exhausted.
- The Lottery, if necessary, will be conducted by Friday, March 10, 2017.
General Lottery Procedures
The "open" enrollment period must be published in advance of the lottery date regardless of the type of Lottery.
- A public event will be scheduled on March 10, 2017, if necessary.
- The School administration selects all applications received during the "open" enrollment period for participation in a public lottery.
- The School administration selects the grade levels that will participate based on enrollment numbers. (Number of seats available).
- Labels with all eligible students’ names will be generated, sorted by grade, for all students participating in the manual lottery. All labels are affixed to a 3”x 5" index card and put into a container for each grade.
- The order in which student names are drawn will be recorded by writing the selection number on the card as drawn. Drawing should be done by a neutral third party.
- Display of lottery results will be posted by student name for each grade.
- The School administration will generate offers of registration. (See General Lottery Rules #5 regarding offers not responded to within the designated time frame)
- Remaining students are assigned to the waiting list in the order of their lottery number.
- Applicants who applied after the close of the enrollment period will be placed on the waiting list in the order that their completed application was received (date and time)
- Letters will be sent to students on the waiting list indicating their status.
- Students who decline admission will be removed from the roster and the seats that open will be made available to students on the waiting list.
Chester Charter School
for the Arts
1500 Highland Avenue
Chester, PA 19013